Monday, April 26, 2010

Japan: extending your stay

If you wish to stay longer, you must apply for an extension at an immigration bureau inside Japan before the expiry date of your current residence permission.

The application process is relatively simple, provided that you still fulfill the conditions for the specific status of residence. It typically takes a couple of days or weeks for the application to be processed, and you are allowed to remain in Japan during that time even if your previous residence permission expires in the meantime.

However, extensions will not be granted if the purpose of the stay has already been completed or there are other problems connected with the status of residence.

Applications for extensions of periods of stay may ordinarily be submitted up to two months before the expiration date of the period of stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment